Now that July 4th has come and gone, it’s time to officially focus on the second half of 2019. Such a crazy thought that we’re in the home stretch of this year, and before we know it we will be living in 2020.
Don’t worry though because UNATION will be bringing you the best stuff to do in Austin each and every week to ensure the remaining 25 weekends of 2019 are the best yet. Not to get y’all too excited for the rest of this year, but check out what I am most looking forward to the remainder of 2019 at the end of this week’s weekend guide.
Now what we are all here for, your weekend plans. Let’s dive right in!
Immerse yourself in the Japanese culture at the Oita Japan Festival!
This festival celebrates the culture of Japan through a variety of activities such as learning how to use chopsticks, a calligraphy workshop, learning to write your name in Kanji, origami, and more. Explore local vendors who will have items like kimonos, Kyoto gifts, paintings and prints, and so much more.
Most importantly (in my mind at least) is the food and drinks! The vendors are Kome, a trendy sushi joint, Asashi Groceries & Gifts, a local Japanese market, and ShareTea, a popular bubble tea spot.
It’s going to be an awesome afternoon that you don’t want to miss. The festival is open to everyone so step into Japan right here in the heart of Austin!
Coworking spaces have become increasingly more popular over the last few years and because of that, it can be hard to decide on which is right for you. Well, your search has come to an end, let me introduce to you Work and Woof!
At this coworking space, every day is bring your dog to work day! Now, this is something I can get behind. In addition to their coworking space, they also offer dog daycare seven days a week and select grooming options including a self bathing station!
Work and Woof is turning one and they want your help to celebrate their first birthday. The will have RWB Chow Bus food truck on site serving up their delicious Chicago style cuisine, local vendors, photo booths, raffle prizes, drinks, and so much more. Not to mention they will have a supervised play area for your pup to hang out and visit with their new friends.
They have asked you to please note that all dogs must remain on a leash unless inside the play park. Your pup also must be 6+ months, be spayed/neutered, and be up to date on all their vaccines.
A portion of all tickets sold will be donated to Classic Canines, a local animal shelter here in Austin.
4. Family Day at UMLAUF
My two favorite F words…family and FREE! This event fully embraces both of them.
Join UMLAUF this Saturday for their July Family Day–complete with fun activities for everyone. Stretch out with some guided yoga, watch an ice sculpture demonstration, and sing along with Armstrong Community Music School!
There will also be trampolines, art activities, a sculpture search throughout the garden, and sno cones from Casey’s New Orleans Snowballs!
The best part about Family Day is it happens every month so if you can’t make it this month there is always next. The kiddos will thank you after their fun filled day!
🗓 JUL 14 | 12PM–4PM
📍 UMLAUF Sculpture Garden & Museum
Wimbledon is in full swing (pun intended) so why not have a party to celebrate? Join SPIN Austin for their White Party to truly embrace all things Wimbledon.
For those wanting to fully embrace the spirit of Wimbledon, wearing all white is greatly encouraged. They will be offering exclusive cocktails available for this week only but offering happy hour pricing to those dedicated to their white wardrobes.
Be inspired by the pros and show off your ping pong talents on their grass-inspired center courts.
For those of you with kids, SPIN will be hosting a kids day on Saturday! Enjoy cocktails while your kids sip on mocktails. An event the whole family can be apart of.
What I Am Looking Forward To Throughout The End Of The Year!
It’s been a whirlwind of a year so far and there is still so much left to do in 2019. As promised here are some events and other stuff to do in Austin that I am most excited about throughout the rest of this year!
• Since it’s still summertime, I have a few things to cross off the list before it starts to cool down (even if it doesn’t actually cool down). The top of the list is doing yoga on a paddleboard. I LOVE paddle boarding, so Yoga & SUP is a must-try.
• Bat Fest is back for its 15th year in August and after attending last year, you better believe I will be back. The Congress bridge is shut down for the day and local vendors and food trucks pop up all along it. A stage is set up in the Austin American Statesman parking lot with live music going on all day. End the day by watching the famous bats fly out from under the bridge!
• Come September–that’s football season, baby–for the second game of the season, our Texas Longhorns take on LSU. Talk about the ultimate Big 12-SEC showdown. I am living for that game, y’all!
• Next up, ACL Music Festival back to back weekends in October. While there have been mixed reviews regarding the lineup, I am personally pumped about it!
• Ask yourself this, when you brunch are you a Bloody Mary or Mimosa type of person? Personally, I typically go for a mimosa, its light, easy to drink, blah blah. You get it. However, I have a newfound taste for Bloody Marys so the Bloody Mary Festival in November has caught my interest. Anyone else?
• December, well that’s a no brainer, the Trail of Lights! This Austin tradition is one of my favorites. Maybe because I love the holiday season or maybe it’s all the beautiful light displays, either way, you must check it out!
These are just a handful of awesome events coming your way. Keep your eye out for more information on these events throughout the rest of the year!